Energy bill support

Find out how to get support with gas and electricity bills.

Not all food banks in the Trussell Trust network are able to support with gas and electricity. Some food banks may run schemes offering fuel vouchers, but this would only be available if you have first been referred to the food bank for emergency food support.

If you need support with energy bills, contact one of the organisations below.

If you’re struggling to pay your energy bills, contact your energy provider first as they may be able to help.

Who to contact for support with energy bills

Your energy provider

In the first instance, contact your energy provider to see if they can offer any assistance. They may be able to review your bill and payment plan or have hardship funds available.

Your local council

Contact your local council with the specific request of accessing the Household Support Fund. This is a grant distributed by councils in England specifically to support those who need it most. If you live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland then you can contact your local council or local authority to see what support they can provide.

Scotland-only: All local councils run Scottish Welfare Fund. This includes a crisis grant which can be applied for (provided you are eligible) and can cover cost of food and gas and electricity in an emergency. Find out how to apply for a crisis grant

Your local Citizens Advice office

Contact your local Citizens Advice office. It will be able to help you identify any grants you may be entitled to and support you with any applications. Use the links below to find your local Citizens Advice:

British Gas Energy Trust

The British Gas Energy Trust is an independent charitable trust set up to support families and individuals facing financial hardship and fuel poverty across England, Wales and Scotland. There is help available whether you are a British Gas customer, or with a different supplier.

Social Housing Provider

If you are renting through a Housing Association some social housing providers have pots of funding for energy support. You could try contacting your social housing provider to see if they can offer advice and support.

Home Energy Scotland (Scotland-only):

Home Energy Scotland provide advice and support on energy issues, including accessing grants for those eligible for energy efficiency measures.

Energy Support Scheme

The Energy Support Scheme (an energy bills discount provided by the government to eligible households) has now ended.

Get help

If you’re struggling, find more ways to get help.