Payroll Giving

A payroll giving scheme is an easy, tax-efficient way of donating through your salary.

Payroll Giving, also known as Give As You Earn, is an easy, convenient and tax-effective way to make a regular donation, so it costs you less to give more.

With Payroll Giving you can donate to the Trussell Trust straight from your gross salary (before tax is deducted) giving immediate tax relief on your donations.

Anyone who pays UK tax through PAYE can donate through Payroll Giving.

How much can I donate?

If you choose to donate through Payroll Giving, you have full control over how much you would like to give. There is no minimum, or maximum amount.

If you pay the basic 20% tax rate, for every £1 that you earn, 20p is paid in tax.

That means if you pledge £10 a month, we’ll receive the full amount but only £8 will be deducted from your net pay.

If you pay income tax at the higher rate of 40%, you can pledge £10 a month and only £6 will be deducted from your net pay, and at the highest rate of 45%, only £5.50 would be deducted.

Plus, it is more efficient for higher rate taxpayers to donate through Payroll Giving than Gift Aid as charities are unable to claim back tax above the basic rate through the Gift Aid scheme.

The income tax applicable to the donation is paid to the Trussell Trust instead of HMRC.

Example of pledges and costs

Employee pledge                                                          Cost to standard rate
taxpayer (20%)                                                                        
Cost to higher rate
taxpayer (40%)                                           
Cost to highest rate
taxpayer (45%)                                    
 £5 per month £4 £3 £2.75
£10 per month £8 £6 £5.50
£15 per month £12 £9 £8.25
£20 per month £16 £12 £11

Donating to the Trussell Trust with Payroll Giving

The first step is to check with your employer to make sure that your company offers Payroll Giving. If they do, they will arrange your donation through your salary for you.

If your employer does not currently offer Payroll Giving, you can write to them and encourage them to set one up. To set up a Payroll Giving scheme, your organisation will need to register with an approved Payroll Giving agency.

If your circumstances change and you want to change or cancel your donation at any time, simply tell your employer. If you change your job, your donations will not be transferred to your new employer, so you will need to start a new Payroll Giving scheme with them.

Contact us

If you have any queries about making donating through your salary, please contact the Supporter Care team on 01722 580178 or email us at [email protected].